Wednesday, June 15, 2011

It Never Wanes

Ever heard the saying, "let's put the fun back in dyFUNctional"?  That was my catch phrase as a youngster when I was able to take a step back and see how crazy my family was (and still is).  My past is littered with dysfunctionality.  I was born into it, grew up in it, and work hard everyday to end it in my generation.  One of my coping methods throughout the years has been to do, do, do, and then find more things to do.  It kept me busy and focused my mind on something other than the screaming in the background.

My husband recently told me that I have a hard time relaxing, and that honestly offended me my fragile pride.  But he is right, and I'm woman enough to admit it.  From the time I popped out of the womb, I've been a Type A kinda gal.  It's who I am and it's unlikely that it will change.  For those of you who didn't grow up reading the Twelve Steps of AA and other various psychological literature on dysfunction, a Type A person is a grossly abrupt, impatient individual with tempermental free-floating hostility, a sharply competitive edge, and a strong orientation towards achievement.  It's almost like an incessant need to do, accomplish, exceed, and excel.  Obviously, you can see how this personality type can injure relationships, and my husband has been a blessing as I work through my issues and try to soften my rough edges.

The other night I was explaining to him what personality tests were.  He wanted to see if these so-called tests gave any accurate indication on who a person is.  So I took the test in front of him, and the end result undoubtedly was a Type A individual.  He laughed aloud as I announced the main characteristics of the person whom this test supposed me to be.  But as I heard these mainly negative things, I grew more aware of how I come across to others.  It reminded me of the areas that need change.

With all this being said, I have to address the fact that it is never wise to allow a test devised by human beings to define who you are and where you're at in this arduous journey.  We are all amazing, masterfully created individuals concieved by an incredibly huge God.  Though I see some truth revealed here, I choose to keep my sense of being grounded in Christ.  He created me, knows me most, and sees me through loving Jesus eyes everyday. Though I may continue to be abrupt on given mornings, impatient that same afternoon, and stressing out over an ever-expanding "to-do" list ten minutes later, His love and grace never wane.  We serve an awesome God, friends!

"But from everlasting to everlasting, the Lord's love is with those who fear Him, and His righteousness with their children's children, with those who keep His covenant, and remember to obey His precepts"  Psalm 103:17-18

Jesus Loves You,

Molly

No comments:

Post a Comment